It’s normal to have an off day and be miserable. We’re humans, we carry a shit-load of baggage and life just keeps throwing us more as we get older. It’s a normal part of life, but what isn’t normal is not stopping for one minute of the day and acknowledging what is bothering us. The first step to resolving a problem is to realize we have one. Once we’ve done that, we can move on with our lives and be happier.
Here are a few things to do when you’re feeling down.
1. Dress up — begin a new day feeling like a million bucks.
2. Smile throughout the day (even if it’s to yourself).
3. Treat yourself to something nice. This can be anything. Have you been eyeing that Victoria Secret swim suit for a month now? Buy it, your treat. Have you been especially good on following that diet? Then pay a trip to Starbucks and order the sweetest drink there, or pay a visit to Cinnabon! Today is your day.
4. Take the day off in small ways. The majority of people have 9 to 5 jobs, and taking a day off can be hard, especially when finding jobs is hard enough without having to worry about keeping one. So, take the day off in a small way. What about your day is repetitive? Can you change something? Try to avoid eating at the same place you go to eat during your break and try something new.
5. Make time for friends/girls day
6. Try to get to the root of the problem. What’s bothering you? Is there a solution? Face it head on and nip that problem in the bud!
7. Surround yourself with good energy. If you’re feeling depressed or sad and it has something to do with the people that you surround yourself with, then that is considered bad energy. If you can’t completely get rid of the negative people in your life, then spend at least ONE day without them. Try it out, see how it goes and then see how you end up feeling. Better? Then you found the problem.
8. Do something you love to do. Do you love playing the guitar? do you love shopping? Haven’t spent any time working on your writing or photography? Spend a little time doing something you love.
9. Take a nap! Sometimes, we’re just exhausted. We work and work and work and never stop. We’re a society that doesn’t realize that people need to take it slow every once in a while. As a college student, I cannot tell you how many people in school make time to take naps in-between classes. They actually make a time for it on their mobile calendars. So make time. Not only will your body thank you for it, but you’ll be wishing you’d started long before you read this blog.
10. Exercise! Personally, I hate exercising. I don’t what it is, but I hate getting up and getting active. It’s not the sweat, it’s the effort. Now, I’m a very ambitious person, and I’ll do anything to be successful in life, etc. Working out is different. However, when I DO become active, I find myself feeling better, more alive, and I end up enjoying the day ahead of me. If you hate to exercise, try something that beginners can easily take up like Yoga or Aerobics. You don’t need to run 5 miles on the treadmill, but you do need to do something that will make your body happy. Happy body = happy life.
11. Music! From the moment you get up to the moment you go to sleep, incorporate the favorite playlist you have saved on Spotify for today. If you’re lacking in favorite playlists, then I recommend “Mood Booster” on Spotify.
12. Think positive. If you tell yourself that today is going to be a good day, then it will be. Granted, we can’t control everything, but we can control our outlook on life and what our day will bring.
13. Cry. This one is for both men and women. Sometimes, when you’re very stressed and it’s causing you to feel overwhelmed, it’s good to cry the emotion out. Just think, you’ll feel loads better afterward.
14. Netflix. If you’re the kind of person who prefers to have quiet nights in and have time to just relax at home, then sit yourself on the couch or in bed with a warm blanket and watch something on Netflix. Word on the street is House of Cards is really popular right now.
15. Night on the town. If you’re the kind of person that loves going out and meeting new people, then perhaps this one is for you. Get dressed, put on that sexy dress, call your girls and have some fun!